The team has been working on a batch of Selection Model updates to address your feedbacks. We’ve landed on two proposals with one key differentiator. There are a few changes that apply to both models, such as:
• Top frames (artboards) can be instantly dragged around on Mouse Down.
• You can hit ⌘ + ESC to instantly go to the top-frame from your selection.
Among others, but the most important one that we’ve added which is different between them is a ⌘ + Click parent selection mode.
Currently, framer selects the deepest nested layer. We took two approaches to improve selection of other nested layers:
• Approach 1: ⌘ + Click selects the top parent under the artboard level (reversing the selection model). Continue ⌘ + clicking to go down the tree (towards nested layers).
• Approach 2: ⌘ + Click selects the immediate parent of the hovered layer. Continue ⌘+clicking to go up the tree (towards the artboard).
You can see the screenshots attached. It might be hard to imagine, so we’ve created two simple demo files that go over the changes and allows you to test them in the respective PR deploy branches. Please try both PR deploy branches, the demos and most importantly, try opening your own files and selecting the items you had difficulties before. It’d be awesome if you can record your screen and thoughts while trying or write down any thoughts / doubts that come up!
• Overview / Demo of Approach 1
• Overview / Demo of Approach 2
So the question for you is: Which one feels better?